Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 9, great cycling and the first serious bike repair

First off, the day ended with 57.5 miles, 5 hours and 9 minutes, average 11.1.

The cycling today was everything you want it to be....scenic, cool, great little places to stop along the way, and a good tailwind when you needed it!

When I woke up in tiny Bieber this morning, the air was cool and humid from the rain overnight.  I decided that I would skip Nick's diner for my second meal and push on to Adin for breakfast.  Did a banana and almonds quick start, and headed out into the cool clear morning.  Today was the last day for views of Shasta and Lassen, and they were crystal clear in the bright sunlight.

As I pedaled along through Big Valley, I wished Val and Phil were long, as I have a question for my geologist friends---I've been cycling in the Pit River drainage for three days now, and it seems like it steps up a series of stairs, and at the top of each stair is a big, circular, totally flat valley.  The river creates marshes as it meanders through these valleys, and I'm wondering if they all used to be lakes, damned up by periodic lava flows?  Instead of following the river out of these valleys, you climb over the next set of mountains that hem them in.  From what I can see from above, the river canyons are quite steep and narrow as they traverse the mountains that ring the valleys.  I would welcome any knowledge about the geology of the Pit River.

I rolled into lovely little Adin just before 10, and headed straight for the Adin Supply Company, which has been serving this part of California for over 100 years.  About 10 years ago, a couple took it over, and they've done an awesome job.  The store was full of cool stuff, good food, and a deli that does breakfast. It was hard to choose between the breakfast burrito or the home made egg and sausage muffin, but the offer of salsa with the burrito sealed that deal.  Yum.

 

 


Adin is a lovely little town of 400 or so, at the base of a creek drainage that flows out onto the flat Big Valley.  Lots of historic houses, big beautiful trees looking their best in spring foliage, and many friendly folks who waved as I rolled through town.  It's a great, easy 1000 foot climb up the creek valley to Adin pass at 5173 ft. before a steep descent back down to the Pit River.




The Pit once again opens up into a huge flat valley, with the river meandering through marshes for about 20 miles into Alturas.  I took the country road route, which added 3 miles or so, but only had a handful of cars pass me over the 20 miles.

I really scored on the motel tonight, after checking out the Best Western ($90!) and the Super 8 ($80!) I went to the highest scoring motel, the Hacienda, and got a room for $55! Classic 50s motel court all redone with nice carpet, and amenities.....it seems that a lot of people are starting to fix these old places up, and they're perfect for us single travelers.

Sadly, I noted that my rear bike tire has gotten quite worn in the last week, and was developing a bald spot, so I switched to a new tire.  In the process I discovered that I'd broken two spokes today, and had a mild panic attack as I had forgotten to get spare spokes back in Berkeley.  There were on my list, but somehow fell off.....

The nearest bike shop to here is in Klamath Falls, 100 miles away, and I called them up.  Happily the guy I spoke with has cycled over the Alturas before and knew of a used bike shop here, and gave me directions to it.  As I was making my way there, I saw the sign for Joes Used Bikes, not far from my hotel.  Turns out the shop is in the middle of moving, and the owner, Houston, was moving stuff into the new place. He's definitely a western character, and he told me to call him when I got up in the morning, since he's usually up at 5!  It's going to cost me at least a cup of coffee and a biscuit and gravy from a place he likes to get breakfast....

I will be taking extra spokes with me as I head into the outback from here.....

I wanted to say more about Alturas, which is as charming a town as it was when I was last year in the late 80s, but I'll start tomorrow's post with that.

2 comments:

  1. Love how the karma fills in the need when you find yourself at a cross roads. A simple call to a bike store and bingo, you meet some character who rises with the roosters and is willing to help you repair spokes. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is funny how just letting go, good things happen. A cycling trip like this is a good way to remember that!

    ReplyDelete