Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 10---Houston saves the day, Alturas to Lakeview

Total 57 miles, 5 hours, 24 mins, 10.5 mph.  Left California at mile 466.5.

A note on mileage:  Mileage includes the miles I ride around town doing errands, exploring etc...this blog won't be an accurate count of mileage between two points as a result.

As you may recall from yesterday's post, two spokes on my back wheel broke some time yesterday, and I forgot to bring spare spokes from Berkeley.  Happily I found a guy, Houston, who has a used bike shop in Alturas.  At 7:15 this morning, I called him as he'd requested, and around 7:45 I rolled down to his shop.  He has hundreds of used bike bits, and we found some spokes that were the right size (and I now have spares).  Took the wheel apart, did the work, (not easy since they were on the non-cassette side and we didn't want to take the cassette off), trued the wheel.  It was a joint effort and took us about an hour.

Turns out Houston was originally from Southern California, is 71, and has retired to Alturas.  The bike business was a hobby for his retirement, and all the money he makes he donates to the local charities that help the homeless, veterans and kids.  He's currently focused on kids, so my 20 bucks for the repair is going to someone who really needs the help!  What a great man, and how lucky Alturas is to have him there! 

After the repair, I took a look around some of the historic buildings (turns out Houston is also writing a history of Alturas) and got things organized for today's ride.  Finally headed out of town close to 11, my latest start since the first day.  It had warmed up from the frost in the morning, and there was almost no traffic on US 395. A long gentle climb up the North Fork of the Pit River (the furthest tributary of the great Sacramento River) to the Goose Lake Basin, which marks the start of my trip through the Great Basin.  Great cycling to lunch at Davis Creek, where I had to suffer through the smell of ribs on the BBQ, which were being prepared for the every Friday night BBQ.  Boy was I tempted to stick around.

Apparently, every four years there's a Davis to Davis Creek ride, and this is the summer that it will happen.  For those of you who might be interested, check it out, as this corner of California is really like the old west, before big trophy homes went up on all the meadows and hayfields in the intermountain west..

After Davis Creek it was pleasant riding on the benches above Goose Lake, an mildly alkaline lake that expands and shrinks as the precipitation varies from year to year.  The ranchlands were truly magnificent and there were many old abandoned apple and wild plum orchards along the way.  There were many historic houses and ranchsteads, all very tidy and well kept, most with lovely gardens in full spring bloom.

Sadly, I picked up a nasty headwind for the last two hours, which made the rolling country more challenging, and a bit demoralizing, but I managed to get into Lakeview before 6.

Tonight I had dinner with the director of the Lake County Chamber of Commerce, whose son and daughter in law are currently living in Wellington!  Her daughter in law also was in the same PhD program as former Chaot, Meg Krawchuck, who married former Chaot Mark Miller.  (Chaots for those who might not know, as members of the Berkeley outdoor club, the Cal Hiking and Outdoor Society).  Small world indeed!  She grew up in Alturas, and has been in and out of these parts for many years.  She was a fount of local knowledge and lore, and we got along famously.  She's currently working on organizing the second Tour of the Outback, which is a series of rides, including a century, that will occur the first weekend in August.  I'll post information about it when I receive it.

Since I've left Berkeley there's only been one day where the riding wasn't beautiful or spectacular, and only one day where the traffic was anything more than sparse.  So far this route has been a perfect cycling route, with good services along the way.  My touring friends should definitely put this on their itineraries.

However, starting tomorrow, the services will change!  I have a 140 mile run to Burns, Oregon with only two stores, and two other water sources.  I'll be camping out in the middle of nowhere tomorrow night, and maybe Sunday night, depending on how many miles I can do tomorrow.  I've stocked up on cheese and salami, and have my olive oil from Corning, along with bars, and chocolate!  Also extra water bottles.  Happily the forecast is for continued cool weather, and the cycling doesn't look too challenging.

No post tomorrow night, but I'll have a lovely full moon out in the Great Basin Desert!

No comments:

Post a Comment