Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 8---It was supposed to be easy, but....

Today was supposed to be easy, but it turned out that this morning I was still super tired from yesterday's big day of climbing, and almost 7 hours on the bicycle.  I did 51 miles today, in 5 hours, 22 minutes.  There was more climbing that I expected, about 2500 feet worth, and the last 1300 foot climb took a lot of out me.  I also bonked, not eating enough at lunch, but a last minute chocolate rush (many thanks for all the chocolate gifts at the Bon Voyage party!) got me over the top.

The internet here in Bieber is not good---anywhere.  And ATT doesn't work here at all, hence the paucity of Facebook posts today.  Fine for most days, but I had a lot of stuff that I had to do this afternoon on the net that was Shanti related.  Alas.....the hazards of the outback.

I was super grumpy this morning, and being in run down, down on its luck Burney was no help.  A terrible breakfast (over cooked eggs, cold toast slathered with margarine, barely warm home fries) was not a great start to the day, and I was having some serious doubts about my ability to get on my bike every day.

However, it was nice and cool, and I persevered....heading for Burney Falls, a 12 mile detour that was perhaps not worth it....more grumpiness as a class of retired people taking a painting lesson had completely (and I do mean completely) taken over the lovely CCC observation deck.  I was not the only non plussed tourist there, as I heard quite a few complaints.  The deck is the only place to really take a picture of the falls, so people were craning over the painters, etc...quite a mess.

Burney Falls


Back to the main road, and more industrial forest, lots of abandoned rusty machinery along the road, dilapidated, abandoned buildings and the detritus of a logging business long gone.  Today was not looking so good.....

But a few miles along the road left the volcanic plateau to join the Pit River, and the valley was a magical change from the ugliness above.  Even the 1920s PGE Pit Power House, with its castle architecture and two giant turrets seemed to fit right in.  A little faux French canyon, reminiscent of the Ardeche.

What do you suppose they needed the turrets for in the 20s?

 

 

 
The first big climb, about 750 feet, wasn't too steep, and afforded lovely views back to the volcanoes of the main Cascade range, and then a quick descent into the most charming Fall River Valley.  Hunting for lunch, I found "Philly Cheesesteaks" advertised, and the proprietor was in fact a south Philly native!  I had half a Cheesesteak, had good conversation, and met a local cyclist who carefully examined my set up.  Grumpiness gone....


The next ten miles or so, through the Fall River Valley, were marvelous.  The valley is completely flat (maybe a lava flow dammed up the river to form a lake?) and surrounded by extinct (and non-extinct in the case of Lassen) volcanoes.  Lots of ranches, hay fields, and first big rural Mormon church of my trip.  I had finally arrived in the intermountain west!

Macarthur


The big climb out of the valley was hard, as mentioned earlier, but the views were just terrific, which always makes climbing more tolerable.  The final descent into Big Valley was exhilarating, and the first sagebrush appeared.  Yay!  I have hundreds of miles of sagebrush to go, but the smell is great when you're cycling.
The Pit River entering Bieber

7th Day Adventist Church in Bieber


Off to bed now, early start tomorrow, as I have to be in Alturas by 4 to get on a phone call....one of these nights I'll figure out pictures and maps!  Maybe on my next day off, which is likely to be next Monday or Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to do my bike ride into work tomorrow in your honor. Cheers & Ride on!

    ReplyDelete