Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 47---a dull day in Glasgow, heavy winds and thunder and lightning

I got up at 6, checked the radar and the wind, and the radar showed a very big thunderstorm about to hit Glasgow, but the wind was calm in advance of the storm.  The storm moved through over a 2 hour period, dumped a little rain, and then the wind started to howl, from the east again! I checked to see if I could keep my room another night, and the owner said she was all booked up, so I packed up, covered myself in poison, and was prepared to head out of town.

All packed up, I opened the door to find more lightning, and I thought that maybe I had just packed up to find a vacancy at another motel in town.  I went to turn in my key, and voila, serendipity----the owner told me that a woman had checked out early, and if I wanted to stay another night, I could.

The view from my room

Deal done.

I stripped off my poisoned clothes and showered, waited for the storm to blow through, and then thought I'd go check out the local pool, and do some laps.  Turned out that the pool was hosting the Northeast Montana kids swimming tournament.  No laps for me.  It was interesting to see the swim teams from all these tiny, dilapidated towns though.  Some good swimmers, and some not so good swimmers, it seems like everyone got a chance to compete.  Good thing too, because in chatting with some of the folks, the swim season here is only two months long!  The pools open in mid June and close in mid to late August...the only indoor pool I've seen on the east side of Montana was in Havre.


It was a lovely late morning, but the wind was blowing 20+ mph


Surprisingly, you could only buy unhealthy junk food at the swim meet, and I saw swimmers eating stuff you'd NEVER see at a swim meet in California.  I did splurge on a cherry sno-cone, but ended up going to Albertson's to get some veggies and other stuff for lunch.  On Sundays almost everything is closed in Glasgow, including restaurants and cafes.  I found myself thinking once again, 'no wonder everyone goes to Billings' and the local merchants complain about the loss of business!

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and napping, and generally having a good Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment