Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day 46----gales from the east kep me in Glasgow and a route change

It was windy today.  Really windy.  Imagine the wind blowing straight in your face, at 20-30 mph for 53 miles, that's what I skipped today. 

Tomorrow will be headwinds 9-15 mph, like yesterday, so I figure I can do the 53 miles then, but I'll be tired and it'll take me 6+ hours.  I'm tired of headwinds on the prairie, the weather systems this summer are really screwed up, and it's been exhausting.  First record heat, now unusual winds, it would be nice to have some normal weather, and just enjoy pedaling along!

I saw the Vancouver gang again in town tonight.  They didn't ride today either, even though they've been doing a lot of drafting, and they're in their 20s!

After much discussion with family and friends, I'm altering my route to avoid the Williston to Minot leg of my trip.  There is just too much truck traffic, and my family in Minot was very concerned about me arriving there safely.  If my dad had been able to make it, and my brother, we could have set up some kind of shuttle, but that's not possible now, so I'll be heading south from Wolf Point, to Glendive, along the new Adventure Cycling route.  It seems much safer, but I'll miss the chance to cycle to my father's family farms and towns.  Ah well, next year we'll meet up in North Dakota, and maybe I'll fly with my bicycle and do a little tour around then.


No comments:

Post a Comment